Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Where are you headed in life?"

So last night I had one in a series of long talks with my mom about what I am going to do with my life, and how on earth am I going to get there? This talk was a little different from the rest, though. Normally we are both frustrated because I'm not giving good enough answers to her questions and she's asking questions that I have no idea the answer to yet. But last night we both had some revelations. You see, I am GOING to work in the fashion industry (or so I tell myself) and my mom keeps asking me how I am going to do that, but the trouble is: I have no idea. And I keep telling her and myself that "Well, I still have time; I don't have to have it all figured out now." But I'm going to be a junior this year, so I really should start figuring out which college I want to go to, and what to major in.

For the longest time I had my heart set on New York. I was going to go to college there and find a job there, no matter how many times my mom told me how impossible that would be. So finally last night I came to terms that there is NO way I will be able to afford out-of-state tuition. And there are some opportunities here in CA, so I can start out here and move to NY one day when I get on my feet.

And my mom admitted that she's scared. She told me that the fashion industry is foreign territory to her and its something that she can't help me much with. But she can help me figure out everything else, like money and college, and where I am going to live. She also finally admitted what I have been suspecting all along: she wants me to write. I love journalism, and I am actuallly pretty good at it (not like you can tell from this blog, I am so lazy at writing when it comes to posts.) So I might consider writing for a magazine. What I've always wanted to do was styling and stuff like that.

But really, I hardly no anything about what it takes to make it in the industry. Like you the title "fashion editor" but what does that really imply? There are so many jobs in the industry, but what are they??? I need help! I have two years to figure this out...might as well start now.

I promise I'll post some more fashion related posts (as opposed to my life goals). I think I'm going to go get coffee soon so I should probably get ready...or distract myself with reading fashion blogs..either one works.

4 comments:

Miss at la Playa said...

You'll figure it out sooner or later :) So don't worry

Kim said...

Hi there, I am exactly in your shoes. I am going into my final year of University (for a marketing degree instead of a fashion one) and just figured out last year that I HAD to end up in the fashion industry. It is something I must do or I will regret it for the rest of my life. The problem is finding contacts. Your best bet is to start networking NOW. Go to entrepreneurial lectures, join groups. Through a friend of mine I will soon have my blog on Capital Style magazine's website and may start writing the style section for them. What do you want to go into in the industry? I am an aspiring fashion designer searching for fashion sewing lessons. I have found many contacts through the Toronto Fashion Incubator online. You want to be a writer? that's great, start writing for you school newspaper, local newspaper editorials etc to build your resume. We can do whatever we want to do in life, we just have to work hard enough.
I have only read your first blog so I don't exactly know what career path you are looking at, but if you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen.

Tavi said...

I think you'll feel very at home with fashion, and it's great that you also want to be a journalist! You could definitely do something that combines the two. You know yourself better than I or anyone else does, so I'm sure you'll know what you want to do eventually.
Haha, we're advice traders xD

Miss at la Playa said...

I'm still making my way